The Department of Criminology offers a dynamic internship program for majors and minors interested in obtaining work experience in the public or private sectors. Below are some of the agencies that offer internships to our students:
- Adult Diagnostic Treatment Center (Avenel, NJ)
- Mercer County Sheriff’s Office
- New Jersey State Police
- New Jersey of the Public Advocate
- United States Department of Homeland Security
- United States Secret Service
- United States Marshals Service
- United States Postal Inspectors
- New Jersey Division of Criminal Justice
- New Jersey State Commission of Criminal Investigation
- New Jersey Criminal Disposition Commission
- New Jersey Judiciary (court system)
- New Jersey Department of Corrections
- New Jersey Juvenile Justice Commission
- Municipal Police Departments
- Municipal Court Administration
- County Prosecutor’s Offices
- County Probation Offices
Students who successfully complete the program receive one academic unit. Students may complete three internships for credit toward graduation. The requirements for initial application to enroll in the program are:
(1) Junior/Senior Standing
(2) Minimum grade point average of 2.5.
Students complete 150 hours of work with the agency over the course of the semester. A research paper is required that will be encapsulate the internship experience. There is an information session offered each semester for students considering completing an internship for the following semester. Internships are offered Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.
Students must complete an initial application and schedule a personal interview with Dr. Bruce Stout (firstname.lastname@example.org), the departmental internship coordinator.